Thursday, January 24, 2008

Losing Teeth

I was the last one to lose a tooth in my first grade class. It must have been traumatic for me because it's one of the few things I remember about that year. It helps me to have empathy for my 8-year old Abbie who has only lost two teeth. The thing that makes it even worse, and something I didn't even have to deal with, was that her younger brother keeps losing his teeth before her! I'll never forget that summer day when they both realized that they were working on getting their first tooth out. They both sat on chairs on the front lawn and with very determined looks on their faces wiggled their teeth in hopes that they would win the race. In the end, an apple helped Connor lose his tooth first. There were tears shed but I let Abbie know that I too had suffered with stubborn teeth. She lost her first teeth just a few weeks after Connor. Last night Connor woke me up at 4:00 in the morning holding his front tooth in his fingers. That makes 3 for him, 2 for Abbie. Gotta love the hair! Poor kid has been sick all week. That's as close as I could get to a smile from him today.

3 comments:

Stephanie said...

That's a great picture. I didn't notice that he had lost a tooth until I was looking at the picture I took of him. Something looked different, and then I finally noticed. Somehow having a gap in his mouth just looks right. I love the picture too. He's a funny kid.

Stacie Raddatz said...

Steph is too quick. I don't think I will ever be a "first post" with her around! Anyway, I love the picture. Congrats to Connor (and Abbie). My kids have not yet lost any teeth. I am not holding my breath.

brenda said...

Connor looks so cute. It was fun having them over tonight. I made Thai food and neither of them were interested--neither were Sydney, Maia, or Sam. Probably won't try that again anytime soon, even though Mike, Berkeley and I love it.

Connor got plenty of Wii time, and Emily and Maia just played and played. I remembered in the nick of time they needed their "sleep-over." They actually fell asleep just before Rick came. I'll put the picture on my blog.