Saturday, January 26, 2008

Running in the Freezing Rain



When I say freezing rain, I'm not talking about the cold. Don't get me wrong, it was plenty cold but the rain was actually freezing to anything it could. Luckily, I live 5 minutes from a beautiful nature park with trails so I was able to avoid the slippery sidewalks. I wished I had my camera with me on my run. Since I didn't, and probably never will on a run, I'll have to just describe all the awesome things I saw today. This nature park is all trees and trails and everything that comes with it. It is a vibrant green and the smell is amazing. I was enjoying running on a trail when I heard a noise and looked just off the path and there were two little deer enjoying some leaves. I love wildlife and I grinned as we took a moment to stare at each other. Just a few minutes later I came to the small lake in the park. The lake was full of ducks and for the first time at that lake I saw a few pair of wood ducks. If you've never seen a wood duck you need to find one. They are gorgeous! Standing sentinel over all the ducks was a heron. It was all just so beautiful. I continued my run and decided to loop the park twice so I could see it all again. I had fun skating along the bridges-they were all covered in ice, and getting lost in my thoughts. The second time around the deer, the heron, and most of the ducks had vanished. All that was left was a solitary pair of wood ducks. I felt like they had stuck around just for me. It made me realize we have to savor whatever good comes across our path in life. And let me tell you, it pays to be addicted to running.

3 comments:

Stephanie said...

I can't believe you didn't tell me about that! What a run. You're going to be so glad some day that you have that written down.

brenda said...

Don't you have all the luck! I have seen some cool things in that park, but never wood ducks or herons. I went all the time last year with both girls in preschool, but haven't been ONCE this school year. Shame on me.

Mark said...

Heid- glad to see you are doing a blog as well. I like reading up on the goin'ons up there is Portland.