Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Mud Pies

There are times as a parent when memories of my own childhood help me allow my children to do things I'd rather they didn't. As a child, of course, I was unaware of the mess my mom had to clean up after fun in the mud, both on my clothes and the mud we tracked in the house. I was unaware of the extra wet, and muddy garden boxes that would now be difficult to plant in. But I was very aware of how awesome it was to get my hands covered in mud and how I had made the best mud pies in town. Well, I hope my kids were as unaware and aware as I was as they found the perfect combination of dirt and water. There time will come, sad to say, when they will don the garden gloves and try to steer clear of the mud. Until then, they can take over my title of making the best mud pies in town. Even Sage was allowed to get dirty. She loved helping us weed and was enthralled by a ladybug as it climbed all over her. Jaxon and Emily were MIA most of the time-they usually are. And poor Holly was sick in bed. She's still trying to recover so please keep her in your prayers. It's been a rough week for her. We've been to the ER once to get fluids into her and are praying we don't have to go back. I'll keep you posted.

9 comments:

Stephanie said...

Cute post! I have to say, I don't ever remember making mud pies. I guess I should have joined the kids that day. And those pictures of Sagie are so cute!

Remember the day when you had never been to the ER with any of your kids? Those were the good ol' days.

Miriam said...

We have also had the sickness at our house. Zach has been pukeing and not wanting to eat or drink anything. SOOOO SAD!!! He is so good though.
My brothers would take our barbie dolls and for punishment either throw them off the roof or bury them in the mud.. Not fond memories of mud in my youth. Unless we were playing house and then it was specialty time. We made beetle patties. YUMMY!!

Tonya said...

I love those childhood memories! I don't remember mud pies, but I do remember pulling the legs off of Daddy Long Legs and pulling worms in half. I am to scared of those things now that i'm old. I'll just let the kids have that fun now:0)

Danielle said...

sometimes it is hard to remember to let kids be kids. but it is always so fun to see their faces when they get to do something that is out of the ordinary and so fun!!!

hope Holly is doing better, let us know if we can do anything for ya'.

meganconser said...

I loved making mud pies! So it sounds like you had early training in pie making, and now your kids will following in your footsteps. You should be proud Momma Heidi.

Stacie Raddatz said...

UUgh! Mia and Luke were doing this same thing earlier this week until I discovered and shut their production down. Your a fun mom. Hope Holly gets better. Finally bought Chaco's and wear them all the time!(since you always talk highly of them) Can't believe how much I love them.

Mahina said...

you are a better mom than i am! i despise a mess! i need to loosen up and just let the kids have fun! this is a great reminder to me!

Breezy said...

So much fun. I remember making mud pies while backpacking. It's good to just let your children love being children. What's wrong with Holly?

brenda said...

I was so happy to see Emily chipper on Saturday.

Thanks for the reminder of the beauty of mud. I love e.e. cummings' "mudluscious" description of springtime.