Monday, April 21, 2008

My Many Colored Days

I love reading Dr. Seuss. His imagination is endless and his rhymes are so fun to read. Not only that, but I think the man gets it. I learn so many lessons from all of his funny tales. One of his books helped me keep things in perspective recently and helped me realize that it's ok, and part of who we are, that we feel all different emotions. So, for your reading enjoyment. I've included the text. You can decide what color you are today.

Some days are yellow.
Some are blue.
On different days I'm different too.
You'd be surprised how many ways
I change on Different Colored Days.
On Bright Red Days how good it feels
to be a horse and kick my heels!
On other days I'm other things.
On Bright Blue Days I flap my wings.
Some days, of course, feel sort of Brown.
Then I feel slow and low, low down.
Then comes a Yellow Day and Wheeee
I am a busy, buzzy bee.
Gray Day....Everything is gray. I watch. But nothing moves today.
Then all of a sudden I'm a circus seal! On my Orange Days that's how I feel.
Green Days. Deep deep in the sea. Cool and quite fish. That's me.
On Purple Days I'm sad. I groan. I drag my tail. I walk alone.
But when my days are Happy Pink it's great to jump and just not think.
Then come my Black Days. MAD. And loud. I howl. I growl at every cloud.
Then comes a Mixed-Up Day. And WHAM! I don't know who or what I am!
But it all turns out all right, you see. And I go back to being...me.

Love it! As I was dragging my tail and walking alone on a recent purple day, I tried what I could to talk myself into being happy. I reminded myself of all the many people who love me, I remembered the people who have so much less then me, I counted my many blessings, but try as I may, I was having a purple day. And then I remembered this book and I was comforted in knowing that a different colored day was just around the corner. And that when we are having brown, black or purple days, we need to remember that it's part of who we are to have every kind of day and that it all turns out all right. I survived my purple day and have survived many other black and brown days. And I've enjoyed every other kind of day as well along with many mixed-up days too. Thanks, Dr. Seuss, for another valuable lesson!

As for today, I'd say it's a Bright Blue Day. What about you?

11 comments:

Stacie Raddatz said...

First post! LOVE this book too. Don't know why we don't own it. It is so true. Today and yesterday are purple days for me. Julia and I are sick, but we will get through it like we always do.

Stephanie said...

Gray....for sure. I'm feeling the gray

brenda said...

Thank you for sharing! I haven't ever seen that book, but I LOVE it! I have definitely been having a yellow day...with shades of bright blue. These days take me by surprise and I wonder, did I do something to deserve this? (In other words, can I make this happen again?) I think I just have to enjoy the ride when I find myself on it.

Miriam said...

So I just got called to Young Womens President on Sunday and I would have to say that I've gone through every color 4 or 5 times in about 24 Hours. Right now I am lucky if I have my shoes on the right feet!!!! I would have to say it's probably the funniest joke that has ever been played on me.... (curled in corner with white jacket on rocking back and forth.)

Andrea Lei said...

I love that book, and also to know that EVERYONE has those kind of bad, sad, mixed up days! That in itself should make us all better.

Breezy said...

I've never heard of that book, but what a great lesson. Thanks for sharing and I'm glad your colors are brighter for you today.

Tami said...

So, Here is my favorite Dr. Suess quote.
Today you are you!
That's tru-er than true!
There's no one a live that's you-er than you!
Shout aloud "I'm glad to be what I am!
Thank goodness I'm not a clam or a ham or a dusty old jar of gooseberry jam!
I am what I am!
What a great thing to be!
If I say so myself,
Happy everyday to me!"
-Happy day you you too!

Tonya said...

Love Tami's quote! Thanks for the post. It's fun to figure out what color I am. Lately I would say I am definately between yellow and pink, but I for sure have plenty of purple days. Watch out during PMS week though, because I definately feel black. My poor family!

Stephanie said...

Green=Jake
BLACK=Jaxon

and for today I'd have to go with a dark gray, leaning towards black. Trying to match my children you see.

Stacie Raddatz said...

Love the new backgrounds. Hooray! It worked!

Chris said...

Thank you, thank you! I forgot this book and needed it for class today, and got the text to make a worksheet for my students from your site. What a lifesaver... you've made my day quite yellow!