Tuesday, June 3, 2008

I Survived the Plumper Pumpkin Patch!!

I was lucky enough to be a volunteer for Connor's 1st grade field trip to the Plumper Pumpkin Patch. Everyone was given a sticker when we arrived that said, "I visited the Plumper Pumpkin Patch". I was tempted to cross the word visited out and write in survived. Don't get me wrong. I did enjoy myself but it was a bit crazy. The craziness began on the bus. Here are the three boys I was put with. All three of them are about as cute as they get. They have huge amounts of energy and I don't know that they are capable of being still for even a few moments. The bus was so full of energy and excitement. I felt like such a dead beat sitting in a bus full of 6 and 7 year olds.

The first stop was inside the barn where the kids quietly (yes they were actually quiet for almost 10 minutes) learned about farms.

We also got to learn how cows were milked way back when and how they do it today.



Next we went on a hayride and saw the Christmas Trees that people cut at Christmas time. We even learned that right underneath us was a tunnel for trains that was built 100 years ago and was still being used today. You never know what's right below your feet.




After our hayride, Farmer Jim (I think that's his name) showed us how the equipment is used. This was my favorite part. I've always thought I was meant to live in the 1800's on a farm. So it was fun to imagine for a bit what it would be like. I loved my farm days in Switzerland and part of me still dreams of living on a farm. The reality-I like to play too much to be a farmer. So I'll keep dreaming and then be glad that I don't actually have to do much work. The kids got to help Farmer Jim plow a row to plant pumpkins and then they planted their own pumpkin seeds. And by the way, the girl in the pink jacket is Connor's favorite girl in the class. I guess we'll be heading back to Plumper Pumpkin Patch in the fall to see if there are pumpkins there. Even Farmer Jim admitted they were working the farm business by encouraging the kids to come back in the fall. Hey, whatever works!

Our next stop was to see the animals. Here's a picture of Connor refusing to look at the animals. Too stinky for him I suppose. As for
myself, these were my two favorites. The goat bravely standing guard over the entrance to the animals. You never know what crazy things those 7 year olds might attempt. And then this sheep. It made me chuckle.






After lunch it was my turn to watch these animals. Looks like a bunch of happy 1st graders playing on a playground. WRONG!! There might be a few happy kids there but mostly it's a bunch of angry kids making sure that justice is served. I suppose that's what happens when you try to cram 70 kids onto a small playground. I watched the kids on the swings first. Let me assure you, not one of the 10 children attempting to use the 4 swings was having any fun. They would swing while another child counted as quickly as they could to 25 and then would get off and start counting even quicker for the next person to get off. I was sure someone was going to get punched but it didn't get that bad. I thought maybe the kids on the tires were having a bit more fun. A few of them were, but the majority of them were yelling at the others to hurry it along and if anyone cut they would hear about it. I didn't know these little kids could be so mean! I was glad they all survived the 15 minutes of yelling/playing and was amazed that in a matter of just a few minutes, Connor's teacher had her class all lined up for a cute class pictures. Nice to know that they can get order when they need to.

And here we are on the bus ride home. One of Connor's calmer moments. I think he resumed pestering his friends across the aisle as soon as the picture was taken. The whole thing was quite an adventure. It was fun to see Connor's world. I loved that he wanted me to be there. And of course, I loved hanging out on the farm. It was the perfect day for it. Even though it was all a bit crazy I was glad to go. Thanks for the fun day Connor!

7 comments:

Stephanie said...

Wow, and you're doing it again tomorrow. Brave woman

Tonya said...

What a crazy bunch of first graders! Sounds like a very fun day though:0)I love all the detail you gave about the happenings at the farm. Even better that you got to hang out with your boy.

Kelsey said...

Going on outings a stuff like that is one of the things I'm looking forward to most about being a parent. Just jumping into their world sounds like such a fun adventure. Your kids are so good looking.

Breezy said...

Wow I haven't checked blogs for a week because I've had visitors at my house and look at all I've missed! Looks like you've been having fun, I love the bus ride. In a week I get to do that with 40 teenagers. I'll need an 'I survived' sticker.

Stacie Raddatz said...

Wow. I hope Mia survives 1st grade next year. Glad to hear and see about the whole thing.

Berkeley said...

I still think the zoo was worse than field day, so there! You were home by 11! (thanks so much for watching...warm in your house)
Aren't we just awesome for being there for our kids? Sydney just about fell asleep on my lap on the way home from the zoo and I thought, what if I had missed this moment??? She still needs me.

Tami said...

I've been there, done that - planted my pumpkin seeds at the Plumper Pumkin Patch.

Last week was the zoo for me tomorrow it is Oaks park. - Love those bus rides.