Thursday, June 26, 2008

STRAWBERRIES!!

We are suckers for strawberries here at the Bruno home. We've been anxiously waiting for our strawberries to ripen and we are finally getting the chance to enjoy them. Today the kids picked strawberries (actually they stood around and ordered their friends to do it for them-already learning how to delegate), mashed them up, added a little sugar and were very pleased with the results.


The jam turned out great and the kids all enjoyed some jam and toast. Yummy!
















I never have enough strawberries in the yard. We mostly just eat them up as they ripen. And I use the 30 lb. bucket of strawberries that I order for jam. So for all my other berry needs (I tell you-I have berry addictions) I head to the u-pick farms. We attempted to strawberry pick last week but after going to five different farms, all of which were closed, we settled for McDonald's sundaes instead. This time we called ahead and were prepared. As you can see, Holly enjoyed herself. From past posts, you've learned Holly will eat anything-even cat food and litter. I think she enjoyed eating the dirt as much as she enjoyed the strawberries. Here's Stephanie trying to cast some kind of berry spell on me.






And here I am in my happy place. I must have eaten 100 strawberries that day.








And just for fun, here's a picture of my favorite part of my yard right now. My dad built this beautiful arbor a few years back. I wanted to have clematis grow up the sides of it and have loved watching it climb up the arbor and burst into full bloom. Not only do I love berries, I love flowers. I'm glad there are things like berries and flowers to make me happy. It's proof that God wants us to find joy in this life.

7 comments:

vaxhacker said...

Yum! We're suckers for strawberries in our household too.

hedrad said...

Oregon is so beautiful. I forget how green it is. I always seem to miss the strawberry pickin' days. Thanks for adding so many pictures. It's so much fun to see the kids. You all look so happy. I love and miss you.

Stephanie said...

Thanks for the gosh awful picture of me. Just so you know, I have some not fabulous pictures of you that I'm not afraid to post! Don't you love that Heather commented. It makes me happy. And I was just admiring the arbor yesterday. Beautiful

vaxhacker said...

The arbor looks great, by the way... reminds me how we need to get busy this summer and finish up a bunch of projects at our house, including the pile of wood beams in the back Cassandra wants to make into an arbor of her own :)

Tonya said...

I love strawberries, but have NEVER attempted to grow them at home. We just get really excited when 4 lb. boxes of them are on sale at Winco for 2.98! So, good job for having a garden:0) The clematis is so beautiful. We planted some in our backyard a few years ago, but because of all the forest in our backyard it doesn't see much sunlight. As a result we get really nice leaves, but not even one bloom! DUH!

Danielle said...

Oregon strawberries are the best! I think my kids and I have eaten them non-stop the last week. I feel like I have to enjoy it while it is here.
And I love the picture of you in the straberry field, you are gorgeous.

Stacie Raddatz said...

This post made me happy. So beautiful there.