Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Only One

"I never look at the masses as my responsibility. I look only at the individual. I can only love one person at a time. Just one, one, one. I picked up one person-maybe if I didn't pick up that one person I wouldn't have picked up the others. The whole work is only a drop in the ocean. But if we don't put the drop in, the ocean would be one drop less. Same thing for you. Same thing in your family. Same thing in the church where you go. Just begin...one, one, one." -Mother Teresa-

Yesterday we finished our African expedition with Mothers Without Borders. For the next week I will be a tourist in Livingstone and then traveling home. I can't believe the time here has already come to an end but am so very excited to see my sweet family again. I hope that as I have spent time with the Zambians that I have helped just one person. I have often felt overwhelmed by the masses. There is so much suffering in this country. But if I have helped, or cheered just one person, it will have been worth my time here. I hope as I return home that I will continue to help one person at a time.

As I prepare to leave I question how these people will make it. How do they continue to live each day in their circumstances. And then I remember that there is One who can care for the masses. In so many ways these people have so much more than I ever will. I almost envy them for their faith. One dear woman I have met talked about going to bed starving every night. The food was rationed between the 15 people living in one room home. Many days she went without. As she shared this experience she talked of how God filled her up on those nights. He helped her make it through the night and she was able to feel Him near her and was grateful for those times. If nothing else, I have seen that God does take care of His children. So I will continue to care for one person at a time and trust that God will take care of the rest.

When I return home (and have a computer that actually works!) I will share more of the experiences I have had and the lessons I have learned. I love these people and am so glad they let me into their lives. I will always remember them.

8 comments:

Stephanie said...

It's interesting....we learn these things, like never hungering with the word of God....but they LIVE it, literally. She knows better than I'll ever know what that really means. And you are so blessed to see it hands on, and know for a surity that the things we learn are true. You envy them of their faith, but you have been immersed in it, and have learned from them, and I'm sure that your faith is more than it has ever been. That quote from Mother Theresa is beautiful. Is it okay if I just keep you as my "only one"? : ) I love you Heidi. I CAN NOT WAIT to see you again!

Kelsey said...

I'm always so impressed by how well you see the gospel in every day life. I wonder if you've seen the Ensign for June. I think you are wonderful at sharing the gospel on your blog, but I doubt that you mean to. I often feel the spirit when I read your posts. Thanks.

Danielle said...

What an inspiring experience, and how wonderful it is that you and your family made a sacrifice so that you could help others so far away.

Stacie Raddatz said...

Can't wait to hear lots more. Mother Teresa is so inspiring.

Mirm said...

Can't wait to hear your stories. And I'm sure your little ones are dying to see you. Okay I'm sure Rick is too.

Tonya said...

I love that quote by Mother Teresa. I am excited to hear your stories. I can't imagine the things you will have to share. Probably nothing that we can really grasp unless we experienced it for ourselves. All I can say is WOW. You have a great family for helping you so much and allowing you to leave for so long.

brenda said...

I miss you! I'm going to have to stand in line to get a slice of your time when you get home. Thanks for posting, on behalf of your adoring fans. Can't wait to see you again. Your kids are little angels and they are all doing great. I can't believe how sweet and easy Holly is. I fell in love with her on Monday, but I was sure not to squeeze her too tight! :0)

Anonymous said...

I am looking forward to your first post-Africa post (no pun intended)! You have a beautiful family and seem to fit all the roles of 'Super-Mom', 'Super-Wife', and of course, 'Super-Sister'. I was walking through Deseret Book the other day after reading your many blogs relating to Africa. I saw a beautiful piece of art that made me think, "Heidi would really appreciate this, and her sister Heather too!" It is very likely you have already seen this beautiful piece of art, but in case you haven't I would like to introduce you to it. If I had the money, I would simply have sent a framed print in the mail, but this is almost as good. If you copy the below URL into your browser, it should take you right to it. It is by an artist named Liz Lemon Swindle. All my best.

http://www.ldsart.com/p-15897-worth-of-a-soul.aspx