Monday, July 14, 2008

Savoring the Moment

In less than 24 hours I will be on a plane to Africa. I'm sure I am absolutely crazy and must have a husband who is just as crazy as myself for letting me go. Who knows the adventures that wait both of us and the stories we will share when we are together again. I know it will change my life and am grateful for the changes it has already made. I have found myself savoring the moment for weeks now as I realize I will be away from my very adorable children and my amazing husband. The little things have been so much sweeter. These are just a few of the moments.

Watching the kids as they happily played in the backyard. Especially when they made an airplane out of the chairs and headed to Africa. I had fun being their stewardess.

Getting Holly out of bed, seeing her smile at me and then rest her head on my shoulder. I didn't want that moment to ever end. I'll miss her.

Taking these rascals to the Childrens Museum. There were so many awesome photo ops but I left my camera in the car and there was no freaken' way I was going to haul all 5 kids back out to the car just for the camera. But they were cute! We took a picture when we got home. One moment I didn't so much like was when the face paint had to be removed. Who knows how many layers had been applied. I was busy in another area (close by of course) playing with Holly. The removal process involved many tears and a mess in my bathroom that I had just cleaned that morning. But let's get back to the good moments.

Spending the day at the lake/beach with my family. Does it get any better than that?















I wasn't the only one savoring the moment.
Finding the girls on their bed enthralled in a story Connor was telling them. He wouldn't tell the story once he realized I was around but he did give me a brief synopsis. Princess Emily and Abbie were taking a tour of the castle while Prince Charming and Connor were in his game room playing the Wii, X-Box and Nintendo. Talk about a modern day fairytale!

Walking up to the park where my family and Steph's already were, and hearing Sage and Holly busting up and then seeing them both swinging high with huge smiles on their faces.

Sucking the helium out of the 5 balloons that were still left from Em's party. I loved hearing the kids sing ABC's and especially loved listening to Connor's cute laugh a few pitches higher.

And the moment that sealed the deal that my Heavenly Father loves me was watching Holly walk. Ten months ago when I had this crazy notion to go to Africa, my one concern was missing Holly's first steps. My kids are late walkers, usually 15 months, and I realized I would be gone when Holly turned 15 months. As the days got closer and she refused to walk, I resigned myself to the fact that I would miss one of my very favorite things about my babies. Yesterday, as she walked across the room to me and giggled with joy when she fell into my arms, I was overwhelmed by the moment. Here she is reveling in her new abilities.

video

I know that it's crazy for me to leave my little kids and hubby for three weeks. I already miss them and I haven't even left. But the peace I have felt from the time I made the decision to go until now is all I need to know that it's what I am supposed to do. My kids will be fine without me. Rick is an amazing dad and will do just fine. When I get back we will savor each other even more. And for now I am going to savor the chance I have to be with my sister in a country so different from my own. I can't wait to share those experiences!

12 comments:

Stephanie said...

Oh shoot, I'm almost going to cry! I really have no idea how I will survive the next 3 weeks. I'll just have to find comfort that you are in Africa helping God's children and not on some beach in the Bahamas. Yes, that makes it a little better. Thanks for sharing those moments. Those are the little things that are easy to forget, but that are the most important. Love you Heidi!

Kelsey said...

Oh I can't wait to hear all your great stories when you get back.

meganconser said...

I didn't tell you good bye and good luck on Sunday! So-- good bye and good luck! I am excited for your adventure and look forward to hearing about it when you are home. You are changing the world one person at a time- maybe that person is you. Love love love, megan

Tonya said...

Wow! I will be so excited to hear about all your adventures. I love that you are doing this. It will be something you will never forget and the stories you will get to share with your kids will be priceless. You leave having great memories with your kids, and yes, they will be just fine:0)

Rachel said...

Good luck on your trip! I'm excited to talk to you when you get back!

Elisabeth said...

I think it is so awesome you are going! What an amazing time and experience you will have. I want to be like you! but my time will come soon enough. Be safe! you and Heather are/will be in my prayers.

hedrad said...

I'm giddy with excitement right now. I get to see you in four hours. I can't believe it. It's like a dream come true having a family member join me on these life altering African experiences. My only wish is that Stephanie and Dad could be here with us...in time we'll get everyone over here.

Tami said...

It is a miracle that Holly walked for you. What a good little girl. I loved to hear and see your happy moments. I will now be looking for my oun happy moments today. I hope you have a wonderful time in Africa. I can't wait to hear all about it.

Stacie Raddatz said...

Have a great trip. Loved the picture of Holly and then the video of her taking steps. But mostly loved her joyous screeching while she is doing it.

Bridget said...

Wow. How exciting for you. Good luck and I will be anxyoious to read about your adventures when you return.

brenda said...

I was kinda hoping by some miracle you'd be able to blog while in Africa. I miss you. Wish I could have been here to throw you a bon voyage party. How about a welcome home?

Don't feel a bit guilty. Your kids will be blessed while you do this errand of angels.

Julie said...

Thanks for sharing the sweet video of Holly! I loved it! What an amazing adventure you are on. I can't wait to hear all about it!