Friday, February 20, 2009

Dad Update

My Dad has had some fairly serious health concerns the past few months. He will be having a hip operation and open heart surgery hopefully in the next 4-6 months. I will use my blog to update on his condition for family and friends who are concerned. Thanks in advance for your prayers and love!

Dad-correct me if I'm wrong on any of this info. We found out today that Dad's hip surgery is scheduled for April 8th but that if anyone cancels they will have him come in sooner, with only a few days to prepare. At this point, the sooner the surgeries can begin, the better.

The heart surgeon thought it would be best to have the hip surgery first. Because it is so difficult for my dad to get around with his bad hip, he uses his arms to get out of chairs and bed. This would no longer be an option once he had the heart surgery and he would need someone to help him get around for weeks.

The problem with doing the hip first is that the risk for a heart attack during the surgery and for 24 hours after is at 5%. At this point, it is a risk that he has to take. Because he has never had any heart problems (they only found the blockage because of high blood pressure) the doctor is confident that things can go well.

Once he recovers from the hip surgery, which will hopefully only take 6 weeks, he can then have open heart surgery. Many of his arteries have 80% blockage in small parts of the artery.

We are planning on moving him closer to Stephanie, Heather and myself (he is now about 30 minutes away) so that we can help him more after the surgeries.

It's going to be some hard months for him but we are all very optimistic that once he recovers from both of these surgeries, he will be able to do more than he has for years. What a blessing for modern technology!

6 comments:

Robin said...

We love you, Dave. We've got yer back. I mean, hip. And heart! Love, Robin and fam.

mamakd said...

Thanks for the update Heidi! All of you are in our prayers!

Tonya said...

I'm sorry to hear about your Dad's health issues. Modern technolgy is so amazing. When my Mom got diagnosed with cancer it was amazing all the different procedures and surgeries she had to go through to fight her disease. She had a long recovery time, but 6 years later she is doing well and has a clean bill of health from the doctors. We are blessed to live in the day that we do and your Dad is blessed to have three daughters who are close and love him so much:0)

Breezy said...

Oh I love your Dad and I'm so sorry for his struggles. we'll remember him in our thoughts and prayers. Let us know if there is anything we can do from here.

Lady Fox said...

I'm sorry to hear about the health issues and we will keep all of you in our prayers.

Elisabeth said...

Wishing you and yours the best. Hang in there Dave. prayers.

I've been there, with both Dale's dad and my parents.