Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Power Grid

This post is to make my fellow game playing family and friends just a bit jealous. Steph and I just played a game of power grid in the middle of the day on Tuesday. And it wasn't even planned. It just happened. We take turns watching each others kids on Tuesday/Thursday. When I watch, I clean the house, when Steph watches I volunteer at the school. Today was my turn to watch. Jaxon and Emily keep themselves well entertained and Sage and Holly nap. Steph put Sage down to nap and then pulled up a chair at the counter. I wasn't planning on her just hanging out but since she was making herself so cozy, I told her we should play power grid. Her other option was to go spend money she didn't have, and mine was to fold clothes. Power grid was certainly our best use of time.

It's times like these when being a stay-at-home mom is the best. It's worth the hours of doing preschool, huge piles of dishes and laundry, very demanding children, and on and on. Not that there aren't other things that I love about staying home, but today, a game of power grid and a few more than a few girl scout cookies was just what I needed. Thanks Steph for helping me be "one of those kind of people." And Mike-I hear you are the Utah champ. Just know you've got some competition with the Oregonians.

Ok, time to get back to those huge piles of laundry. They didn't go away while I was sitting around playing games.

11 comments:

Robin said...

This post was beautiful. The Beauty of The Wisdom. Don't you like how the piles sort of temporarily go away, though, while you're playing? Also, all this power grid talk... seems like I need to get a grip on the grid. one day. one day.

Stace said...

Great post. I didn't know you could play that with just 2 people. Hmmm. I am looking at Mark's Power Grid he left here, but watching TV is nice too. My kids have every play dough opened and it is getting in my table grooves and all over my newly swept floor and everywhere else they move to. But I just want to punch my card and leave for the day. Yes, you really need to play Michael.

vaxhacker said...

Hooray for good friends and games! I'll have to check out Power Grid. I confess I don't recall hearing about it before.

Which also reminds me it's been too long since we've gotten our families together. You guys graciously hosted us the last couple of times, we need to have you over.... of course, we need to get our home construction project we're in the middle of finished first, but it would be fun.

Stephanie said...

A few things. First of all, I love that you blogged about this. Normally a day like yesterday would be locked in my memory vault never to return, but now I'll always have a reminder of the laszy afternoon. Secondly, I'll always make sure we're both "those kind of people" no matter what life brings us, and third, your forgot to mention that I WON!

vaxhacker said...

Hey, that looks like a fun game, more along the sort of game I tend to like playing. I'll have to check it out.

Have you tried Settlers of Catan or other similar resource-management empire-building sorts of games?

Danielle said...

Sounds like a fun afternoon. And you definitely need those days, when staying at home wuth teh kiddos.

And aren't sisters great!!!

hedrad said...

I wasn't going to make a comment just out of spite but then how would you know that I was trying to spite you? So I'm letting you know that I'm only writing this comment so you could know that I was trying to spite you. I want the wisdom!!! Give me the wisdom!!!

brenda said...

How have I never even heard of it? We play ticket to ride every week, but it's getting old. Especially since Syd wins every dang time.

P.S. I have a new crush. Check out Jose Gonzalez, "Heartbeat."
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4_4abCWw-w

Tonya said...

Never even heard of it, but I LOVE that you left those piles of laundry alone to play a game in the middle of the day. I do that too sometimes, but it's usually Candyland or Connect 4 with Ivy. Game time with an adult would be so much fun and a great way to forget about the laundry piles for awhile. I say "good for you"! Plus, what memory will you hold onto longer, the ones of you folding laundry or the day you decided to be "one of those people" and played a game in the middle of the day?

vaxhacker said...

Oh, and by the way, tag, you're it.

Tami said...

I love being one of "those kinds of people" but I woudn't admit it. When my kids ask me what I do all day while they are gone to school I tell them that I watch soap oprahs and eat Bon Bons. Do Bon Bons even exist?