Monday, August 10, 2009

Going to the Doctor

I just got back from the doctor where we found out that Holly has a bladder infection. She was given two shots of antibiotics in her legs and a prescription to take care of the rest of the infection. We got to the doctor at 12:00 and were out of there a little over an hour later. If the infection doesn't clear up in the next couple days, they will do whatever steps necessary to rid her body of it.

I feel so blessed.

I hate taking the kids to the doctor. I always complain about it and put it off as long as I can. If I wait longer than 15 minutes I get irritated and if my prescription isn't ready when I go to pick it up I feel put out. Today was different.

I just finished reading, and loving, the book "The Poisonwood Bible". It is a fictional story about an American family living in Africa that helped me remember the reality of Africa. When their babies get sick they certainly don't have a doctor 5 minutes from their home. And if they are one of the few lucky ones who can make it to a doctor, the wait is hours long. And once they get in to see the doctor, the chances that the medicine they need is available is even smaller. And if there is a cost involved, most of them are out of luck. The majority of the people have to try whatever they can to heal their sick child on their own and then just wait and pray that the infection will clear. What I just witnessed happen in an hour won't happen in a lifetime for so many people.

While in Africa, I helped at a temporary medical clinic for a day. People stood in line for hours and were given a handful of tylenol to help with their many ailments. No infections were cured that day.

As always, time will pass and I'll find myself irritated in a waiting room, wondering why I've been there for more than 15 minutes. But for now, I feel overwhelmed by the luxuries we enjoy. I am grateful that after a week of watching Holly suffer, I can now watch her heal and return to her feisty two-year-old self. Too many mothers wait weeks, if not months, for the healing to come. I am so blessed.

8 comments:

Stephanie said...

Very good reminder. I can't imagine what my little Sagie would be like if it weren't for the many doctor visits we've had. Very sad thought. And I can't wait to read that book!

Danielle said...

Thanks for the reminder. I feel like I am always at the doctors office, and it is always such an ordeal with all 3 little kids, but thank you for reminding me how truly blessed I am. And poor little Holly. Let us know if you need anything.

hedrad said...

You've been blessed with the ability to remember. Like Stephanie I am grateful for the reminder. The question is and will continue to be...then what are we going to do about it?

Rachel said...

I read that book a few years ago, such a good book! She has another one called "Prodigal Summer" that is almost as good.

Lady Fox said...

Was the fever she had when I was there part of this whole deal? Poor thing. She sure was miserable. Glad things are getting worked out. Thanks for the fun time...and for all the great recipes. And that book was good wasn't it?

Elisabeth said...

Barbra Kingsolver...one of my favorites.

Thanks for the reminder. I've been dealing with so many health issues lately. So grateful for inspired Drs. and to LIVE where I do...much to think about.

Tonya said...

I loved that book as well. You're just the lucky one that has gotten to experience Africa first hand! I still think that is amazing.Oh, poor Holly! At the baptism she was not feeling well at all. Thank goodness antibiotics work so quickly...and that we do have access to medical care when we need it. It's so easy to forget that there are so many suffering in this world and that we have it so good. Thanks for helping me to rememeber how blessed we really are.

Stace said...

I need to read that book. Sounds like a good one. Hope Holly is better now.