Thursday, October 15, 2009

A 2-digit Birthday

Abbie turned 10! Of course, it is hard for me to believe that my oldest is 10 now. I love all the fun that comes with growing up. Abbie's birthday month was fun for both of us. She was spoiled all month long. Early birthday presents, a trip to Utah with just mom, a shopping spree with Grandma and Grandpa, a 3-D movie with just the two of us, a family birthday party and a friend party at the skating rink. Does life get any better? This 10-year-old deserves it all.

She wanted me to make aebelskivers for her birthday. They are a delicious round pancake that my sister-in-law, Stacie, introduced me to. Stephanie figured them out and has been making them for me here and then bought me my own pan for my birthday. This was my first attempt at making them. I failed but Abbie was so encouraging and sweet about the whole thing. I think I finally got the last batch right and she shoved a few in her mouth as she walked out the door to school. I tried!
Stephanie took her to Wendy's and shopping after school. We then had her favorite dinner, salmon lingune (also a Stacie recipe-thanks Stacie!) with Grandpa and the Christensens. She devoured that in a few minutes and was off to soccer. Once she got back we had just enough time to open presents and eat donuts. She's so grown up!!
Abbie got a much needed new jacket.
She requested that we have donuts for this party and save the fancy Stephanie cake for her real party.
A few days after her birthday she was able to invite as many friends as we could fit into our van for a trip to Skate World. Ahh, the memories. And I think 10 must be that magic age for a skating party.
After skating, the kids came over for presents, cake and games. At one point Abbie was crying from laughing so hard. I loved seeing her so happy. Abbie has brought me lots of joy over the past 10 years. She is an amazing girl. I look forward to everything that will come with the next 10 years. Bring it on!




Holly also enjoyed that there was a party going on. Yum!!

2 comments:

Rachel said...

Love the cake! I might steal that idea...

Stace said...

Great birthday post. We have that salmon linguini probably every week. We love it too and I just disovered that I love it more on whole grain rice. I didn't expect that. That cake is awesome. Roller skating rocks. We should have went to the rink when she was here. Does she really skate? My kids have never been.