Friday, October 2, 2009

Pushing Limits

I've always enjoyed seeing how far I can push myself. Making lots of pies for my wedding reception, running marathons, going backpacking, hiking mountains, jumping off bridges, stuff like that. It's exhilarating to reach your goal and to find out what you are capable of. Raising children has certainly changed the ways in which I am able to push myself. I push my limits now by attempting to raise 5 children (wish me luck!), giving birth naturally, and hiking mountains while I'm pregnant. My sister, Heather, shares that same intense need to do it all. Her single life is allowing her to try whatever she wants. Right this minute she is probably near, if not on the top of Mt. Kilimanjaro, the highest peak in Africa. Am I jealous? Heck, yah!! If it weren't for my 5 amazing children, I'd be right there with her. Would I want my life to be any different? Nope. I couldn't be happier with the opportunities I have.

So, while Heather prepared to hike Mt. Kilimanjaro, I prepared to hike Mt. Timpanogas-7 months pregnant. I had always told Abbie that when she turned 10, she would hike Mt. Timp with me. Timp is the mountain I grew up with. I could see it from my house and hiked it many, many times. Whenever we vacation in Utah, I tell the kids that the mountain is mine. I love that they believed me! When I realized that Abbie would almost be 10 and I would be near the end of my pregancy, I knew the time had come. I have always hiked at the end of my pregnancies and didn't want this one to be any different. So Abbie and I got on a plane and were hiking my mountain the next day.

We were so lucky to have Megan, Aaron, John, Mirm and Bud join us. What a treat!
This is why I do the crazy things I do! It was beautiful. And we lucked out with perfect weather.
Here we are at the saddle of Timp. Such a fun group.
Nothing like coming up over the ridge and seeing all of Utah Valley. We can even see the street I grew up on from here.
And isn't this girl amazing? There were few, if any kids, younger than her on the mountain that day.
Bud thought he was hot stuff with his fancy walking stick.
After 9 hours of hiking we were thrilled to see the cars again and to have accomplished our goal!
Abbie's favorite part of the trip was seeing all of her cousins, aunts, uncles, grandma, grandpa and friends.
She even got to meet her new cousin Max. Such a fun trip!
I look forward to having my kids join me on more adventures as they get older. It's fun to have a crew of people to join me in the fun.

And I can't wait to hear all about Mt. Kilimanjaro. For now, I'll remember how great it was having Heather around when our biggest adventure for the day was making it to the bus stop on time and getting out of PJ's before dinnertime. Nothing wrong with that.

8 comments:

vaxhacker said...

You are amazing, Heidi! Wow.

Rachel said...

I second that! I have yet to hike Timp-- pregnant or otherwise. :-) I love that I can see it from my house-- almost makes me feel better about not seeing Mt. Hood.

Rachel said...

I'm so proud of you, you amaze me! And I was so happy to see you and Abby...even for a short time. We can't wait for Max to meet his new cousin.

Oyama Family said...

You're too cool (a tad crazy, but cool)! Abbie too, great job!

Tonya said...

Wowsers! What a fun, and yes CRAZY, adventure! I have only hiked Mt. Timpenogas one time...when Rylie was a tiny babe. It really was beautiful. I love that you would hop on a plane to take your daughter hiking. You are doing an amazing job of creating lasting memories. Awesome!

Stephanie said...

I'm in a comment leaving mood. I guess I'm impressed, although, I think I'll do it 9 months pregnant just to show you up! You should check my blog and leave a comment...it's been awhile. Um, I'm hungry

hedrad said...

The pictures of you on the top of that mountain look great. I love seeing that big ol' belly out living life. Although I miss the walking to the bus stop days it's nice having something exciting to blog about. Keep 'em coming.

Elisabeth said...

I loved read this! You are an inspiration. Your baby belly is beautiful.