Friday, January 1, 2010

Happiest Day of the Year

I love Christmas. It really is the happiest day of the year for me. Nothing like having traditions to look forward to and enjoy. One of our favorites is singing at a rest home on Christmas Eve. This year the Andrus and Bake families joined us. Between the three families we provided lots of happy kids and an awesome program. I really think it brightened their day as it did ours!

Another tradition is acting out the nativity. This year was going to be extra special because we had our own baby boy to be Jesus in our nativity. I was looking forward to it. I hosted a Christmas Eve dinner with dear friends. I was grateful that Grant slept through the dinner so I could enjoy being with them. Of course, he woke up moments before he was to take the stage. By the time we laid him in the cradle there was no calming him down. Connor had been a stubborn Joseph and the combination was not at all what I had envisioned. I spent the rest of the time trying to calm Grant down and trying even harder to be patient with Connor. The whole thing was a good reminder that things don't always work out just as you plan. And that's ok.

Holly decided to take Grant's place when he was no longer interested. But really she was acting out the angel. My dad didn't think she was very well cast as the angel. I think he was right.

I hadn't planned on ending the night rockin' out to "Orange Burrito" but I wouldn't have had it any other way. If you can't have the perfect nativity, "Orange Burrito" is the next best thing.



After friends went home the kids helped clean up and put on their new Christmas PJ's-another happy tradition. They were anxious to get to bed so that Christmas and the magic that comes with it could finally come.
Opening presents is always a happy thing.




The girls got new dolls.
Connor got his legos.
Holly got just a bit more attitude.
And we all got to hang out in our PJ's, eating and doing whatever we wanted.
Cleaning wasn't something I wanted to do, so the house remained a disaster all day, just as it should.
We didn't get out of our PJ's the following day either. On Sunday we no longer had a choice so we put on our new Sunday best and ventured outdoors.
I still couldn't give up on my nativity so I made the kids dress up again in an attempt to get it right. Still no luck. I was almost in tears by the end of the night because of the constant bickering and the kids went to bed an hour early. My patience was gone. I guess this group isn't made to put on the perfect nativity. I'm good with that. They make me happy a million other ways.

And we did get one perfect picture out of it all.

5 comments:

Tonya said...

Christmas is by far my favorite day of the year as well. What a cool tradition of singing at a rest home on Christmas Eve. I love it! I remember hearing that Orange Burrito song at the Mothers Without Border's function in Sherwood. So funny!!! Hope you had a great New Years:0)

hedrad said...

Love the videos. Holly's hilarious. Nice to hear Orange Burrito again. The new Christmas outfits are perfect. Your family is beautiful. Thanks for posting.

meganconser said...

Aren't you sweet Heidi! You guys know how to do it- even if it isn't as perfect as you want it to be- it still perfect for your family. Merry Christmas- love ya!

Rachel said...

Your Christmas sound very much like ours. Rand and I were trying to remember what we did before we had kids on Christmas. It is so much fun to have little kids get so excited. I think I was more excited than them. Holly is so stinking cute. I can't wait to see Grant and hold him. I hope he catches up to Max soon and gets chubby! Happy New Year!

Stephanie said...

I like this post a lot. Just thought I'd let you know