Monday, August 16, 2010

Making it to the Top of Utah


I have been waiting for almost 15 years for the chance to hike Kings Peak, the highest mountain in Utah. I've hiked many other Utah mountains but the highest one was still on my list of things to do. When I heard that Heather, who is home from Africa for the month, was hiking it this summer I booked a ticket to Utah and joined her and some friends to make the climb. So glad I did!


Scott nursing Chloe.

I can't think of a better spot to have lunch. Beautiful!

Kings Peak is the triangular shaped peak right in the middle.
The mosquitoes were unreal. We covered every inch of our bodies so they couldn't find a spot to suck our blood. Chloe hid out in the tent. I was dealing with an intense headache at the time. My body was trying to cope with a change of elevation from under 500 ft. where I live to over 10,000 ft where we camped.
Halfway up the mountain.
And finally after hours of climbing on rocks we made it to the highest point in Utah! So fun to be there with my sister. And this picture is way cooler than if we were just sitting on a fence.

Looking down from the top.

This was our crazy descent. We decided to take the short cut and I can no longer walk because of it. I don't think I've ever been this sore. Not even after marathons! I'm in the middle looking down.
And this is looking up.
Everyone was happy and maybe a bit crazy when we finally made it down.

This makes me happy.
Our finally destination was Denny's after two days of hiking 28 miles and gaining almost 5,000 ft. We enjoyed our all-you-can-eat pancakes at 11:30 at night. Denny's pancakes never tasted so good!
Thanks to Rick who took over at home, to Mike and Stacie who gave me a comfy bed to sleep in and lots of yummy food to eat the next day, to Mark and Mikelann for letting me use their awesome backpacking gear, to Chloe and Scott for lots of laughs and great conversation, and to Heather for helping me achieve things that I've always wanted to do.

3 comments:

Julie said...

Congrats Heidi. I think we just barely missed you guys. We started hiking on Sun at 4:00 pm.

hedrad said...

If only there had been a fence on the summit...

Loved this post!!! Such a fun adventure and so fun to have done it with you!

brenda said...

What a fun group. You guys are so cool. And you are especially cool for being such an active, hip, sporty 29 year old. Happy Birthday!