Sunday, May 15, 2011

Ode to Rain

(Because my options at this point are to find the good in the rain or pack my bags and move somewhere sunny.)

Flowers everywhere. This alone is almost enough.
Big Beautiful Berries. This alone IS enough.
The smell of the nature parks we visit often, especially after the rain.
Green, green, green. Who knew there could be so many shades of green.

The fact that in the 9 years I've lived here it rarely rains between the hours of 8-9 AM when I am out running.
And when it is raining I've learned to hardly notice it.
And I've learned not to wear cotton sweats and shirts so I don't have to wring out my clothes when I'm done.
And I'd pick a rainy day to run over a really hot one.

Whenever the sun does choose to shine I feel justified in dropping everything and basking in it's warmth.
And for the month, or maybe two if we are lucky, that we do get sun, Oregon is a glorious place to be.

If it wasn't for the rain, I wouldn't be able to enjoy the expression and comments my kids make when the sun comes out.
They usually hide from "the big scary ball in the sky" (Quote taken from the local newspaper). They just aren't quite sure how to cope with it's brightness and warmth.

I'm rarely warm enough to have to deal with sweat-take that Steph.

Sports events get cancelled often and I love when things get cancelled. It means an extra hour or two that I didn't know I would have.

It's a good excuse to put off working in the yard for another day, and another and another.
I never have to water anything.
The stream in the backyard gets bigger and more beautiful with the rain. How can I complain when I get to look out at this every day?!
So rain away Oregon. I will stay true to you and your beauty because of the rain.
And I'll spend the day inside, by the fire, reading a good book.

4 comments:

Stephanie said...

Ode to the sun....

You make mornings feel new and alive while you stream inside my many windows, illuminating the recesses of my soul.

You make morning and evening walks simply delightful with the sun warming the skin, while the breeze keeps you cool.

Laying in DRY grass with the kids in shorts and t-shirts playing happily on the trampoline while I tan my legs and face.

Should I go on?

Although, I may just trade it all for some big fat blueberries.

Tonya said...

I love your Ode to rain!

Way to stay positive about all this liquid sunshine Oregon can't seem to get enough of lately.

And while the rain is what keeps Oregon green and beautiful I think I have to say that I LOVE SUNSHINE!

Julie said...

Love your positive attitude, Heidi. I'm typically a rain lover, but I have to admit, it's really gotten to the point of wondering if spring will ever come.

hedrad said...

Nice try! I'm just not convinced. Having the sun will always be better than all that blasted rain. Please find it in your heart to move to a different state (maybe Idaho), where the sun is not the minority, before August.